CLOSE TO ME

My friends,
It feels good to have my own blog.....there are things which are close to my heart and things which have affected me one way or the other.....my thoughts,my desires,my aspirations,my fears my gods and my demons---you will find all of them here....I invite you to go through them and get a glimpse of my innermost feelings....................

Monday, October 9, 2023

WORDS/ For the Love of Writing

 The scent of paper

The smell of ink

Do you remember it?


Can you recall 

the postcards, inland 

and airmail letters?

Photo postcards,

acknowledgements

and registered letters?


Every letter was

replete with 

emotions.

Some sad,

some happy.

Some merely jovial.


Who can forget 

the time of pen-pals?

The more one had,

the more popular 

the person was.


The rolling of 'Rs'

in a specific manner,

the formulation of 'Gs'

and the curl of 'Zs.'

All brought 

an untold joy.


One page letter,

two pages or more.

The number of pages

determined the involvement

of the sender.


The outpourings of 

love and affection,

the rose of the love-letter.

Emotions were rooted 

in every word.


Every word 

brought the sender

closer.

She/ he had come home,

to love, warmth and belonging.


The wait  for the postman

Kept one on tenterhooks.

The letter had to be

Smelt, felt, read and assimilated

On its arrival.


Words of the letter

Brought a father,

Working away in a distant state,

Nearer.


Sisters, brothers, cousins

Felt together.

The news, anticipation and joy 

Of meeting

During school holidays

Was brought by letters.


Heart would miss a beat

On receiving a telegram

It might be the harbinger

Of bad news.


Bracing oneself,

Heart racing

With trembling fingers

Opening the telegram

Jumping with joy

On receiving good news.


Can typing 

Replace the connection,

The overwhelming emotions one felt

With paper, pen, ink?


Even today

I cannot shake off

The bond 

The connection

The joy

I feel

When I write on paper.


My love of language

Stems from my love

For writing.

A love I intend

To continue

Till death do us part.


November 18, 2021 at 8. 45 P. M.



No comments:

Post a Comment